The Slovenian Alpine Museum illustrates the development of Slovene mountaineering, climbing and mountain rescue history, interwoven with educational and conservational content. Its rich collection of historical objects and artefacts, diversity of photographic, film, book, and museum archives, and an extensive museum library, provide clear insights into the powerful, lasting impact of mountains and mountaineering on Slovene culture.
At the Slovenian Alpine Museum, we record, preserve, study and promote Slovenia’s mountaineering heritage and the history of the Slovene alpine conservation areas. Our museum programmes, workshops, lectures and exhibitions are aimed at increasing the popularity of mountaineering in general. They encourage respect for the alpine natural and cultural heritage in the younger generations, and illustrate the shaping role of mountaineering in defining the Slovenian national identity and the international recognition of Slovenes.
Our mission is underlined and reinforced by our slogan: “Rope team for future ascents“
The Slovenian Alpine Museum is also developing into an information centre where visitors can find information on the various exhibitions and accompanying museum events, hiking, and the mountaineering possibilities and tourist attractions in the surrounding area. Through our interactive exhibitions, museum events and programmes we strive to create lasting impressions of our mountaineering history and its cultural and natural heritage.
- The systematic processing and studying of the Slovene mountaineering and climbing heritage; to preserve, record, promote and collect it and ensure its accessibility in one place, and in this way to secure the museum’s position as a recognisable, central, national Slovenian mountaineering museum;
- To become a place for socialising, education and entertainment, offering new opportunities to the local community for the development of tourism in Mojstrana, complementing what Kranjska Gora municipality, the Upper Carniola region and Slovenia offers to tourism;
- To contribute to raising awareness of the cultural heritage of the Alps, and the conservation and sustainable development of the Alpine region, by including the Triglav National Park and Alpine Convention information points in our programme;
- To spread our mission in cooperation with the Alpine Association of Slovenia by setting up Slovenian High Level and Mountain Biking Route control points;
- To become a meeting point for the local and wider community and a representative of the local and national identity, attracting a wider public which will be able to associate itself with the museum and its mission. We want to create an open space for social dialogue and social responsibility in the 21st century.
Awards and recognitions
|European Museum of the Year Nomination.||Golden Albert Mountain Award of King Albert I Memorial Foundation for a unique cultural contribution to the entire Alpine region.||The Honourable Valvasor Mention presented by The Slovene Museum Society for the Escape to the Bivouac project.||Živa Award for the best Slavic Museum 2017.|
Founder of the Slovenian Alpine Museum:
Partners of the Slovenian Alpine Museum:
- Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia
- Alpine Association of Slovenia
- The Triglav National Park Public Institute
- The Avgust Delavec Foundation and Dovje-Mojstrana Alpine Club
- Mountain Rescue Association of Slovenia
- Skala Mountaineering Club